How Qovery billing works
Let’s see how the Qovery billing is working as we are about launching the v2 in less than two weeks. Since we launched Qovery in January 2020, our product was free of charge for our “community” and “business” plans - even if on the pricing page it was mentioned the opposite. Making Qovery free was the perfect way to get product feedback and iterate with our users without the cost constraint. As our “community” infrastructure costs have drastically grown within the last 12 months, we need to reinvent our free offer. Important note: we will continue to offer our Community plan but with different conditions. In this post, I will explain how our “Community” and “Business” plans evolve. Let’s go.
Qovery is the fastest way to deploy your apps in your AWS account
Here are the critical pricing elements to have in mind
For the “Community” plan:
- The “Community” plan is still free with a $45 credit offer when you sign up the first time.
- You can still host applications with our “Community” plan. It uses our Qovery Cloud account.
- The only way to get free credits is to “give back” to the community. (see below)
For the “Startup” plan (former "Business" plan):
- With the “Startup” plan, you can deploy on your own AWS, Digital Ocean, and Scaleway (Q3 2021).
- You get $300 free credits when you create your startup Organization.
- As Qovery runs on your Cloud account, you still have to pay your cloud provider’s cost.
Important note: The main difference between the “Community” and “Startup” plans is that on the “Startup” plan, you can use Qovery to deploy on your own Cloud Service Provider (AWS, Digital Ocean, Scaleway) account - without limits.
The pricing is $0.000006 (6 decimals) per application per second. Meaning, you pay when you use Qovery to deploy and manage your applications. One application used for a full month costs you $15.05.
Important note: database counts like an application - $0.000006 / second.
Let’s do the math together. You have 1 NodeJS app and 1 PostgreSQL database to deploy on AWS with Qovery. This is what it will cost:
Scenario 1: Your app and database run in production - so 24/7 for 1 month.
$0.000006 x 24 (hours) x 60 (minutes) x 60 (seconds) x 30 (days) x 2 (apps) = $31.10
At the end of the month, you pay $31.10 to run your production with Qovery for 2 apps.
Scenario 2: Your app and database run in development - so 8 hours per day for 1 month.
$0.000006 x 8 (hours) x 60 (minutes) x 60 (seconds) x 30 (days) x 2 (apps) = $10.36
At the end of the month, you pay $10.36 with Qovery to run your development environment for 8 hours per day during 1 month and 2 apps.
Scenario 3: Your app and database run in development to validate a Pull Request - so 30 minutes in 1 month
$0.000006 x 30 (minutes) x 60 (seconds) x 1 (day) x 2 (apps) = $0.022
At the end of the month, you pay $0.022 with Qovery to run your development environment for 30 minutes for 2 apps.
Important note: for startup plans, Cloud service provider (AWS, Digital Ocean, Scaleway) costs are excluded.
Community plan and free credits
At Qovery, we use great open-source products, and we want to give back. That is why...
- We have open-sourced our Qovery Engine (multi-cloud deployment) and launched several projects like Pleco (automatic clean up resources on Kubernetes) and RedisLess (serverless Redis implementation).
- We have provided free hosting for developers (database included) since January 2020.
The problem with this model is that giving access to hosting resources for free is not financially sustainable. It has to change. Now we reward users that are giving back to the community. Here are the possible rewards...
- Inviting a friend to join Qovery: you and your friend receive $15 credits each
- Giving product feedback: $15 credits
- Reporting a bug: from $15 to $300 credits
- Reporting a security bug: from $15 to $300 credits
- Writing an article: from $50 to $300 credits
- Sharing your love of Qovery on Twitter (comment or post): $5 credits (limited to 3)
- Sharing your love of Qovery on Dev.to (comment or post): $5 credits (limited to 3)
- Active community member*: recurring $100 credits every month + other advantages
The more you contribute, the better it is for the community; the more you get free credits, the longer you can use Qovery for free. We believe that is a fair way to encourage the community to be involved and retribute in return for their implication.
- You have 12 months to use your earned credits.
- On the “Community” plan, you can go up to 512MB of RAM and 1CPU per application. When you run out of credits, you need to refill it within 48 hours by giving feedback, invite people, writing articles... Otherwise your application will be shut down. There is no such limit on the “Startup” plan.
Do I need to have an AWS account to use Qovery?
Qovery has two offers, the “Community” and the “Startup” plan. The “Community” plan does not require an AWS account as it is included into it. The “Startup” plan requires your AWS account.
How much will my AWS cost?
Using Qovery on your AWS account requires a minimal set up (installed and managed by Qovery) as EKS, ECR, and load balancers. It will cost you around $300 per month. Our engineering team work to lower this minimum.
How can I reduce my AWS cost?
Our interest is to help you to optimize your costs. Qovery includes smart optimizations based on your requirements. With those optimizations you can reduce your AWS cost up to 60%.
Can I pay to get more credits on my Community plan?
No you can’t pay to get more credits on your Community plan
Why don't you allow users to pay their credits?
Qovery IS NOT a hosting platform and will never be. We offer free hosting because it is our way to give back to the our developers community. But we want to encourage them to give back in return by helping each other and sharing their love of Qovery. See the “Community plan and free credits” section above.
What happens if I no longer have credits for my Community plan?
We notify you to give back to the community to get more credits. If you have not taken any action within:
- 48 hours, Qovery will shut down your applications.
- 30 days, Qovery will permanently delete your applications
How long I have to use my free credits?
You have 12 months to use your earned credits.
Should I use the Community plan for my next side project?
Yes, but if and only if you want to give back to the community. For instance, writing an article on Qovery can let you host your full-stack app (frontend, backend, database) for free up to 6 months. By writing 2 articles per year, you get 100% free hosting for your full-stack app.
At Qovery, we believe in a predictable and transparent pricing for our customers. And we also believe in giving access to free hosting to developers that are contributing in building a better tech ecosystem.
- 13th June 2021: we decided to keep "Community" plan instead of "Community" plan to make it clearer for everyone.